Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Load slots timeout

2014-11-10 02:49:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Load slots timeout
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:43:31 +0100
On 11/10/2014 06:54 AM, Jesper Krogh wrote:
>> On 09/11/2014, at 17.14, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
>>
>> Five minutes to load a tape is way too long for something which succeeds.
>> My hypothesis: there is a problem with the process.
> Yes and no
>
> If the tape has been closed properly then Yes, if it hasnt the first thing
> the drive is going to do is to pass over the entire tape to get the
> end-marker position out of the tape which can take way more than 5 minutes
> and really isnt an error state.

When Bacula is using mtx (the mtx-changer script) to load a tape, it
does not move the tape to the end of media marker.  This will happen
later only if Bacula is going to write on the tape.  Thus moving to the
end of the media is not part of the timeout for loading a tape -- unless
you have some really non-standard tape drive or OS kernel driver, which
I have never heard of.

Best regards,
Kern