Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir stuck trying to mount the wrong volume

2014-09-05 15:19:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir stuck trying to mount the wrong volume
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:16:53 -0500
On 09/05/2014 01:41 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 9/5/2014 1:48 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>> I've another bacula setup that writes to a single filesystem. It's been
>> running with about zero problems (knock on wood) and zero maintenance
>> for years: auto-labelling works, volume recycling works, the only
>> problems are spinning rust and lsi's ugly raid manglement software.
>
> The whole point of vchanger is to use multiple filesystems as a single
> autochanger.  For a single filesystem I would recommend Bacula's
> built-in disk autochanger capability or else Bacula's standard disk
> storage handling.

Right, that's my point: when you use bacula's standard disk storage
handling you get
- automatic volume labeling,
- automatic volume recycling,
and generally near zero maintenance overhead.

With vchanger I
- have a job split over different disks,
- need to manually fix the catalog every time I sneeze,
- get into weird "intervention needed" loops where bacula "mounts" a
volume it's just filled up and complains it couldn't write to some other
volume it shouldn't have tried in the first place.

Ergo, if you want to use multiple filesystems, the smart move would be
to "fake" the standard disk storage over multiple filesystems.

(As for built-in disk autochanger, Kern's explanation of it never made
much sense to me: maybe it's useful for debugging or something...)

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin