Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy SD to SD with data encryption

2014-06-09 09:40:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy SD to SD with data encryption
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:36:04 +0200
Quoting message written on Monday 2014-06-09 09:04:42 by Josh Fisher:
> These are two different things. If you only want to encrypt the data
> transmission on the wire, then a tunnel can be used and there is no
> need  to use Bacula's PKI encryption. If you want the data encrypted on
> the storage media, then you must use Bacula's PKI encryption and there
> is little/no need for a tunnel.

Hi Josh,

As I mentioned in my first post, I am aware of the differences between
communication and data encryption.

I have setup communication encryption and it's working fine but I still
have a need for a feature that would allow me to use SD to SD to copy
with data encryption which would result in storing only encrypted data
on the remote storage location which doesn't have the same level of
trust as the local storage location.

Ultimately I would probably want to use a combination of features
such as:
- SD to SD copy
- virtual backup (a.k.a. consolidated backup)
- communication encryption
- data encryption

All four features listed above cannot work together, for example:
- Data encryption cannot be used when copying a job (unless the
  data encryption is configured on the client).
- SD to SD feature cannot be used with virtual backup but only
  with Copy and Migrate jobs...

Considering my needs and the limitations I have listed above the
best solution for my requirements seems to be some kind of encrypted
network block device presented through an encrypted tunnel.

Regards

--
Josip Deanovic