Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy SD to SD with data encryption

2014-06-09 04:29:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy SD to SD with data encryption
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:23:39 +0200
Hello Josip,

I answer below in-line ...

On 06/08/2014 10:13 PM, Josip Deanovic wrote:
> Quoting message written on Saturday 2014-06-07 13:22:33:
>> Hello Josip,
>>
>> At the current time, only File daemon does encryption.  So the answer to
>> your question is: no we cannot do data encryption on SD->SD transfers.
>> It could be an interesting project for someone though (not me, because
>> I have tons of other things to do at the momen) :-)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kern
>
> Hi Kern,
>
> Thank you for the answer.
>
> Unfortunately I am probably not the right man for the task.
No problem :-)
> Anyway, I understand that when a client is sending it's data to
> a storage daemon, all files are individually optionally compressed,
> optionally encrypted and then sent to the SD.
Yes
> I wonder how the Copy job handles it's task of copying the job to
> a different pool or even SD.
> Does the Copy job task perform using the similar logic e.g. extracting
> the individual file from the copying job and sending it to a storage
> daemon to be written to some other pool?

It is two independent jobs on the SD side: 1. A SD restore job sending
the data to what it thinks is a "FD" via a comm line.  2. A SD job
receiving the restore data by simulating a FD but instead of restoring
the data, it also acts as a SD doing a backup on a device.  So each job
(read, backup) can have its own pool.  This is exactly how it works, but
with a single Director job that controls two SD jobs.

Best regards,
Kern