Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula

2014-06-02 10:03:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:00:45 -0400

On 06/02/14 09:47, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 02/06/14 23:30, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Have you considered virtual full backups?  After you run a
>> Differential, you could create a virtual full backup (though I
>> think "synthetic full backup" might actually be a better term)
>> from the Differential and the last Full.  This would allow you to
>> always have a recent Full backup on hand without tying up the
>> slow connection for many hours while a new Full backup runs.
>
> I can't say I have. I did read parts of the documentation on this -
> but I didn't quite understand how it was actually doing what it
> says.... The amount that actually changes per backup is usually
> fairly small. I have 2 x 20Gb File volumes on the local HDD - and
> that will probably handle 100+ incrementals before me having to
> figure out what to do with them...
>
> Is there a newbie guide to the different levels of backup? I can go
> read this and then come back with any further questions /
> clarifications etc...

Herewith, the Newbie Guide!

FULL:
Ignores any prior history.  Backs up any and all files that are not
excluded.

DIFFERENTIAL:
Based off the most recent FULL.  Backs up any non-excluded files which
are new or changed since the last FULL backup.

INCREMENTAL:
Based off the most recent previous backup of ANY LEVEL. Backs up any
non-excluded files which are new or changed since the previous backup
job, regardless of level of the previous job.

VIRTUAL FULL:
Uses the most recent FULL backup job and all relevant newer
Differential and Incremental backups to create a new synthetic FULL
backup reflecting what the server believes the current state of the
client to be, *without referring to the client*.  In order for this
Virtual FULL backup to be fully correct (i.e. properly reflect files
deleted since the FULL backup), the ACCURATE option (which you can
also think of as a TRACK DELETES option) must be enabled.

- --
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils AT caerllewys DOT net