Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula

2014-06-02 09:32:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 09:30:09 -0400

On 06/02/14 09:16, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 02/06/14 23:01, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Your comments are quite valid.  However a better approach to
>> solving the problem is when people like you (especially English
>> speakers) find the solutions, you modify the documentation to
>> include the correct words for someone not familiar with the
>> software to understand it, and then send that in as a
>> contribution, then everyone (including me) benefits from your
>> work :-)
>
> At this stage, I'm still not sure I have things set up correctly
> myself. I'm not quite clear with all knobs and buttons in Bacula.
> TSM is all coming from a file based - not job based. This means
> that things like retention are handled per file - not per job.
>
> I'm not exactly clear what will happen with a file that is still a
> system that is backed up and the retention time expires. Is that
> file backed up again on the next incremental? Does it not get
> backed up at all again?

If there is no existing non-expired backup of a file, it should get
backed up on the next backup, whatever level.

> My current config does a Full backup once - then a nightly
> incremental. I'm not exactly sure that this will do what I want -
> but I can't find anything that says either way...

It works, but I don't recommend it.  I suggest interspersing periodic
Differentials among the Incrementals to "reset the baseline" for the
incrementals and reduce the number of Incrementals you need to keep
around (and restore from).

> Some of my backups are multi-Gb and are over a slow (5Mbit) link -
> as such, incrementals are good - and full backups take hours. I'm
> not convinced that Bacula handles this case well however - but I am
> yet unable to prove one way or another.

Have you considered virtual full backups?  After you run a
Differential, you could create a virtual full backup (though I think
"synthetic full backup" might actually be a better term) from the
Differential and the last Full.  This would allow you to always have a
recent Full backup on hand without tying up the slow connection for
many hours while a new Full backup runs.

- --
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils AT caerllewys DOT net