Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 - Postgresql 9.1 - libpq.a - dir inserting attributes ??

2012-11-29 10:17:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 - Postgresql 9.1 - libpq.a - dir inserting attributes ??
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:15:20 +0100
Zitat von Olivier Delestre <olivier.delestre AT univ-rouen DOT fr>:

> Hi,
>
> I upgrade bacula 5.0.3 ( psql 8.4 ) to 5.2.5 ( psql 9.1 ) on ubuntu
> 12.04.1 LTS.
>
> I asked about :
>
> 1) The documentation of bacula that saying :
>
> "If you configure the Batch Insert code in Bacula (attribute inserts are
> 10 times faster), you*must*  be using a PostgreSQL that was built with
> the*|--|enable-thread-safety*  option, otherwise you will get
> *data corruption*. Most major Linux distros have thread safety turned on, but
> it is better to check.  One way is to see if the PostgreSQL library that
> Bacula will be linked against references pthreads.  This can be done
> with a command such as:
> nm /usr/lib/libpq.a | grep pthread_mutex_lock "
>
> But, no such file. What is its usefulness ?
> i found it by installing postgresql-server-dev-9.1. Not installed
> from scratch install or upgrade...
>
> I think the package bacula 5.2.5 is compiled with
> enable-batch-insert and postgresql 5.2.5 with enable-thread-safety (
> obtain source package with apt-get source xxx )

Debian/Ubuntu does a little different because they split Bacula in
dynamic loadable parts to use the same main binaries with .so modules
for different databases. In /usr/lib/bacula/ you can find the modules
used and they include libpthread.so, so you are done.

> 2) else since the update, i have a client with a state of "dir
> inserting attribute" for 3 hours :(
> This Client have 1,8 To and 16 Millions of files. An idea if
> something change since ??

If you have done an inplace upgrade from 10.04 carefully check your
database schema and index. As far as i remember there was a (Ubuntu)
bug regarding Bacula database when doing OS upgrade.

Also have a look here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
(checkpoint_segments)

Regards