Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 - Postgresql 9.1 - libpq.a - dir inserting attributes ??

2012-11-29 07:58:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 - Postgresql 9.1 - libpq.a - dir inserting attributes ??
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: <olivier.delestre AT univ-rouen DOT fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:55:23 -0500
On 2012-11-29 07:38, Olivier Delestre wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I upgrade bacula 5.0.3 ( psql 8.4 ) to 5.2.5 ( psql 9.1 ) on ubuntu
> 12.04.1 LTS.
>
>  I asked about :
>
>  1) The documentation of bacula that saying :
>
> "If you configure the Batch Insert code in Bacula (attribute inserts
> are
> 10 times faster), you MUST be using a PostgreSQL that was built with
> the --ENABLE-THREAD-SAFETY option, otherwise you will get
> DATA CORRUPTION. Most major Linux distros have thread safety turned
> on, but
> it is better to check. One way is to see if the PostgreSQL library
> that
> Bacula will be linked against references pthreads. This can be done
> with a command such as:
> nm /usr/lib/libpq.a | grep pthread_mutex_lock "
>
> But, no such file. What is its usefulness ?

Different operating systems install this file in different places.
Here is
how I found it on a FreeBSD system:

$ locate libpq.a
/usr/local/lib/libpq.a

And running the command:

$ nm /usr/local/lib/libpq.a | grep pthread_mutex_lock
          U pthread_mutex_lock
          U pthread_mutex_lock

> i found it by installing postgresql-server-dev-9.1. Not installed
> from
> scratch install or upgrade...
>
> I think the package bacula 5.2.5 is compiled with enable-batch-insert
> and postgresql 5.2.5 with enable-thread-safety ( obtain source
> package
> with apt-get source xxx )

Do you have any unanswered questions?

> 2) else since the update, i have a client with a state of "dir
> inserting attribute" for 3 hours :(
> This Client have 1,8 To and 16 Millions of files. An idea if
> something
> change since ??

That's a lot of inserts to do.    It can take a while to insert 16
million rows.

> No grant privileges on Tables restoreobject* , like this urls say (
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg51149.html
> )

I'm not sure why you mention this... :)

> everything works well apart this status "DIR inserting attribute" for
> one big client and libpq.a not installed. I'm a little worried.

Are you sure that libpq.a is not installed?  Please check again...

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/