Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy + Migrate to different ppols - was: Tape-to-tape copy job?

2012-11-11 09:10:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy + Migrate to different ppols - was: Tape-to-tape copy job?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 15:05:12 +0100
Dear Dan,

In message <CD46DBFD-A816-4E6D-95C1-504E50FD67E8 AT langille DOT org> you wrote:

> NOTE: this is not the tape-to-tape copy mentioned in the subject.

True.  Changed Subject: .

> Well, first, don't try to figure HOW to do it quite yet.
>
> Figure out what you want to have happen.  Don't express it in terms of
> the three steps above.  But in terms of what copies your want where…
>
> So.. given backup job X on disk,  n days later, I want a copy of that
> job X
> in Pool B.  Y days alter, I want Job X in Pool C.
>
> Ignore that one is disk, one is tape.  Then it should be easier.

OK, the task is:

1) Backup some jobs to pool DISK
2) Copy these jobs from pool DISK to pool ARCHIVE
3) Migrate the same jobs from pool DISK to pool TAPE

My current problem is that I think pool DISK would need two different
"next pool" entries, one for ARCHIVE and one for TAPE, and I don;t
know how to switch these on a per-job base.

You wrote in your other message:

> > Can I overwrite thissetting, for example in the Job definition?
>
> I think not, reading
> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION002230000000000000000

Indeed - trying to use "next pool" in the Job description I get a

Config error: Keyword "NextPool" not permitted in this resource.

Ditto for the "run" command; using a "NextPool=..." on the command
line, I get an error

Invalid keyword: NextPool

However, Section "11.7 Virtual Backup (Vbackup)" in the manual says
"...writes it to the Next Pool specified in the Job resource" but this
appears to be misleading.

But if "next pool" can really be used only within a pool definition,
then it is never possible to copy (or copy & migrate) from one pool to
two or more other pools.

Or am I missing something?  Is there any deeper technical reason for
such a limitation [except that nobody needed this before, so it was
just never anticipated] ?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
"I can call spirits from the vasty deep."
"Why so can I, or so can any man; but will they come when you do call
for them?"          - Shakespeare, 1 King Henry IV, Act III, Scene I.