Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape-to-tape copy job?

2012-11-10 09:26:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape-to-tape copy job?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:22:50 -0500
On Nov 10, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Dan,
>
> thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> In message <BB43BB6A-CD8A-41CD-B7C5-99F9FAE1E5E0 AT langille DOT org> you
> wrote:
>>
>> I can show you what I did with backup to disk, then copy to tape.
>>
>> Copy from tape to tape is just repeating again.
>>
>> http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape.php
>> http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape-via-sql.php
>
> Thanks, that was really helpful.
>
>>> - Pool / Next Pool settings: I can define a "TEMP" pool for the
>>> temporary disk copies, but I'd like to have both the old, original
>>> backups and their copies on the new media in the same (archive)
>>> pool.  How would I use this with "Next Pool"?
>>
>> Next Pool indicates the pool that the jobs should be copied to. The
>> originals remain.
>
> Can I overwrite thissetting, for example in the Job definition?
>
> The setup I'm targeting for now is this:
>
> 1) Backup to disk
> 2) in somewhat larger intervals, copy the jobs to tape (for off-site
>   archival)
> 3) in somewhat shorter intervals, migrate the jobs to tape (for
>   regular storage)

NOTE: this is not the tape-to-tape copy mentioned in the subject.

> For this to work, the pool for the jobs on disk would need two
> separate "next pool" seetings - one for the regular migration to tape,
> and another for for copying to the archive tapes.

Well, first, don't try to figure HOW to do it quite yet.

Figure out what you want to have happen.  Don't express it in terms of
the three steps above.  But in terms of what copies your want where…

So.. given backup job X on disk,  n days later, I want a copy of that job X
in Pool B.  Y days alter, I want Job X in Pool C.

Ignore that one is disk, one is tape.  Then it should be easier.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org