Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Tape-to-tape copy job?

2012-11-05 15:41:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Tape-to-tape copy job?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:35:47 +0100
Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating to a more recent tape storage
technology.  In the end, I would like to dump all the old tapes and
drives, but there are a number of backups that have to be kept.

My idea was to define a pair of copy & migrate jobs - first a copy job
to read the backups from the old tapes to disk, followed by a migrate
job to move them to the new tapes.

Does such a procedure make sense, or are there more straightforward
ways for such re-shuffling from one set of storage media to another
one?

Are there any example setups doing similar things?  I have to admit
that I have hard times coming up with a configuration to do what I
have in mind - there are a number of areas where I don't really know
what to do:

- Pool / Next Pool settings: I can define a "TEMP" pool for the
  temporary disk copies, but I'd like to have both the old, original
  backups and their copies on the new media in the same (archive)
  pool.  How would I use this with "Next Pool"?

- Selection Type: This appears to be especially hard.  Actually I
  don't want to define a real schedule for this stuff, but rather run
  this interactively on the console.  Ideally selection would be done
  by a list of JobIDs; alternatively by a list of volume names
  (meaning to copy all jobs stored on these volumes), or so.  I see
  the "Volume" and "Job" Selection Types in the documentation, which
  appear to be just what I'm looking for, but how can I set this up to
  provide such information interactively on the console command line?

Any help welcome, thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
Microsoft Compatibility:
     your old Windows 3.11 application crash exactly as the new ones.