Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VXA-2 Tape not filling

2011-06-29 00:45:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VXA-2 Tape not filling
From: Christian Tardif <christian.tardif AT servinfo DOT ca>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:39:48 -0400
On 23/06/2011 10:06, Brian Debelius wrote:
I found something strange. If I try to issue this command:

mt -f /dev/nst0 status

I'll get one line that says:

Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x81 (DLT 15GB compressed).

Isn't that strange? I'm trying to understand what this density code is doing there. tapeinfo reports this density code as well (which should, anyway) but says that Partition 0 Size in KBytes is 76787712.

From my experience the density code does not mean anything.  The tape block size of 0 bytes indicates that the tape drive is set for variable block size which is what bacula wants by default.  You may want to play with this and set it to a fixed larger size for performance, after you get things working.  I use 256K blocks.

Take a look at the screenshot (Media-B and C). It's actually the exact same media (Media-B has been purged, and relabelled as C). At the time of backup, Media-B appeared as full at 27.71GB. Now, C is full at 57.76GB. Not a bit of change in the config. And the VXA-2 should backup to 80GB uncompressed.

Go figure...

Christian...