Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client / laptop backups

2011-06-29 02:33:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client / laptop backups
From: Mark Maas <mark AT maas-martin DOT nl>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:03:12 +0200
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy AT karlsbakk DOT
net> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We're using Bacula for some backups with three SDs so far, and I wonder if
> it's possible somehow to allow for client / laptop backups in a good manner.
> As far as I can see, this will need to either be client-initiated, client
> saying "I'm alive!" or something, or having a polling process running to
> check if the client's online for a given period of time.
>
> Is something like this possible or in the works, or is Bacula intended only
> for server backups?
This is something I've been struggling with as well. At first I used
backuppc to make the laptop backups and made use of it's "archival
run" to create standalone tgz's of the laptops which would end up in
bacula.

Too clunky for my taste. Although I really liked that users had
webpage access to their backups.. Oh well.

Now I use bacula to check every ten minutes wether it can find a
client on the VPN. If it can connect, it will initiate an incremental
accurate backup.

Once a month, I do a virtualfull on the server side, to make restore's easier.

This is the setup:

root@bacula:~# cat /etc/bacula/conf.d/clients/tribble.conf
Client {
 Name = tribble-fd
 Password = snipped
 Address = 10.50.0.8
 FDPort = 9102
 Catalog = MyCatalog
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Job {
 Name = tribble-home
 Base = tribble-home, scotty-home
 Client = tribble-fd
 FileSet = home
 JobDefs = Portables
 Storage = bacula-sd-file
}

root@bacula:~# cat /etc/bacula/conf.d/jobs/jobdefs.conf
JobDefs {
 Name = "Portables"
 Type = Backup
 Schedule = Portables
 Storage = bacula-sd-file
 Pool = backup-daily
 Messages = Portables
 Write Bootstrap = "/data/bootstraps/%c_%n.bsr"
 Accurate = yes
 Reschedule On Error = yes
 Reschedule Interval = 10 minutes
 Reschedule Times = 64
 Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
 Cancel Running Duplicates = yes
 Max Run Sched Time = 24 hours
}

root@bacula:~# cat /etc/bacula/conf.d/schedules/schedules.conf
## SCHEDULES
Schedule {
 Name = "Portables"
 Run  = Level=Incremental sun-sat at 08:00
 Run  = Level=VirtualFull 1st sun at 03:00
}

root@bacula:~# cat /etc/bacula/conf.d/filesets/filesets.conf
## FILESETS
FileSet {
 Name = "home"

 Include {

   File  = "/home"

   Options {
     signature = SHA1
     verify = pins1
     compression = GZIP
     onefs = yes
     sparse = yes

     # Include all users' directories so we reach the inner ones.  Unlike a
     # WildDir pattern ending in *, this RegExDir only matches the top-level
     # directories and not any inner ones.
     RegExDir = "^/home/[^/]+$"

     # Ditto all users' My Documents directories.
     WildDir = "/home/*/Documents"

     # Ditto all users' My Documents/My Pictures directories.
     WildDir = "/home/*/Desktop"

     # Include the contents of the My Documents/My Pictures directories and
     # any subdirectories.
     Wild = "/home/*/Documents/*"
     Wild = "/home/*/Desktop/*"
   }

   Options {
     Exclude = yes
     IgnoreCase = yes

     # Exclude everything else, in particular any files at the top level and
     # any other directories or files in the users' directories.
     Wild = "/home/*"
   }
 }
}

It is ofcourse this part that does the autommation:
 Accurate = yes
 Reschedule On Error = yes
 Reschedule Interval = 10 minutes
 Reschedule Times = 64

The only downside to this is the amount of erroneous errors in the
console it produces..

Thanks,
Mark--
Mark Maas
Mob. +31 6 54 2345 79 (But I prefer email for communication)
The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't
be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it. -- E. Hubbard