Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VXA-2 Tape not filling

2011-06-21 14:23:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VXA-2 Tape not filling
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: christian.tardif AT servinfo DOT ca, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:20:44 -0400
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Christian Tardif
<christian.tardif AT servinfo DOT ca> wrote:

> On 21/06/2011 13:01, John Drescher wrote:
>
> Look for scsi errors in your dmesg. Bacula will assume it hits the end
> of the tape when it hits any write error.
>
> Don't have any SCSI error on dmesg. It really looks like Bacula thinks that
> it can only write 30GB of data in my VXA-2.

I believe the only way that can happen (if you are in the correct tape
density mode) is that you set the Maximum Volume Size parameter in
bacula. Remember that bacula does not talk directly to tape drives or
care about what tape sizes they support. It relies on the OS support
for your drive and the mt / mtx commands. Bacula keeps writing data to
a tape until it hits an error. When it hits the error it checks if the
last block was successfully written. At this point the tape is marked
full.

John