Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Firewall traversal

2011-06-24 05:51:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Firewall traversal
From: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:47:47 +0300
23.6.2011 18:49, Kevin O'Connor kirjoitti:

> 2011/6/23 Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi <mailto:jarif AT iki DOT fi>>
>
>     23.6.2011 4:28, Dan Langille kirjoitti:
>     >
>     > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>     >
>     >> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org
>     <mailto:dan AT langille DOT org>> wrote:
>     >> On Jun 20, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>>> My setup is as follows:
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Bacula Server (DIR, SD) -> Firewall/NAT -> Server to be backed
>     up (FD)
>     >>>>
>     >>>> The FD is accessible from anywhere, but the DIR/SD is not (NAT/FW).
>     >>>>
>     >>>> When I start the backup, the Director connects to the FD
>     without a problem, but then when the Director tells the FD to
>     connect back to the SD it fails because of the NAT.  I'm in a
>     situation where I can't get the ports forwarded, but it would seem
>     that there should be a way to have the SD connect out to the FD or
>     something along those lines to get this working.  Is there a way to
>     do that that I've missed in the docs or is really the only way to
>     get this working is to expose the SD?
>     >>>
>     >>> No, there is not.
>     >>>
>     >>> I highly recommend OpenVPN.  It simplifies a great many things.
>     >>
>     >
>     >> So I've followed that SSH tunneling article, but I see that the
>     FD on the remote server outside of the firewall is trying to connect
>     to 172.16.x.x, which is what the SD resolves to inside of our
>     network.  I've followed the instructions in the article to add the
>     SD FQDN to /etc/hosts to make it resolve to 127.0.0.1, but somehow
>     this 172.16.x.x address is getting passed along.
>     >
>     > I can't comment.  You didn't provide the URL to the document you
>     are following.  Please don't expect us to search for it.  :)
>     >
>     >
>     > What host has the SD resolve to localhost?  Nobody should need that.
>     >

>     ssh-tunnel solutions requires that on the fd machine. There sshd listens
>     on localhost on behalf of SD, and forwards the connection over the
>     tunnel.
>
>     The document is on Bacula wiki page, and it works. I have implemented
>     ssh-tunneling per the document, and I have no problems.
>

> The document is a little fuzzy as to what steps are required where, the
> SSH tunnel should be created on the director which will then connect out
> to the system to be backed up running the FD?  Then the FD goes through
> the tunnel that's been opened up on localhost and the traffic should be
> directed to the SD port on the director?

In my setup:

1. Director opens the SSH-tunnel, and starts listening on localhost AND
client-fd
2. Director connects to the client using localhost (SSH-tunnel)
3. Client connects to the SD using it's name. /etc/hosts on FD machine
declares that address as 127.0.0.1, so client connects to SD via SSH-tunnel

>     >>
>     >> Does the Bacula Director resolve that FQDN and pass the IP along
>     instead of passing the FQDN?  I'm talking about what's specified in
>     bacula-sd.conf.
>     >>
>     >> Thanks!
>     >

>     Are you sure you have the FQDN in the Bacula config file, and not the
>     172.xx IP-address?
>
>     I have followed the same doc, and my setup just works.
>

> Yeah, absolutely.  There's no reference in any of my configs anywhere
> (dir, sd, fd) on either machine to that IP, so it makes me think the
> Director is resolving it, using that value internally, and then passing
> that over the wire instead of the FQDN specified in my config.  I'm
> using Director 5.0.3 and FD 5.0.1 if that makes a difference.
>

>     --
>
>     The true Southern watermelon is a boon apart, and not to be
>     mentioned with
>     commoner things.  It is chief of the world's luxuries, king by the grace
>     of God
>     over all the fruits of the earth.  When one has tasted it, he knows
>     what the
>     angels eat.  It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took; we know it
>     because
>     she repented.
>                    -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"

You are going to have a new love affair.