Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula maintenance : Clean Data

2011-06-06 12:05:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula maintenance : Clean Data
From: Buschini Edouard <moon AT ijaal DOT net>
To: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:02:55 +0200
Hi,

That's what I thought, ok so I'm gonna change and let bacula do the job.
Thank you again !

Regards,

2011/6/6 Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 16:40:01 +0200, Buschini Edouard <moon AT ijaal DOT net>
wrote:
> Hello Jérôme,
>
> 2011/6/6 Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
>
>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:45:24 +0200, Buschini Edouard <moon AT ijaal DOT net>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Alan,
>> >
>> > Thank you for you answer.

>> since
>> I'm

>> > move temporarily the issue :(

>> > I don't know when I arrived in the company it has already been
designed
>> > like
>> > that : Dell server with 15kSAS raid10
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> You should set :
>>  - Maximum Volume Bytes
>>  - Maximum Volumes
>>  - Volume Retention
>>  - Job Retention
>>  - File Retention
>> according to the space you can use. Volumes should be recycled then and
>> will never fill up your filesystem.
>>

> Yep that's I understood, so if I set the File retention to 1 month, my
> volume automatically is marked as purged and next time it will be prune
and
> truncated right ?

Hello,

The way I manage the disk space allows me not to worry on disk's usage.
I have no Maximum Volume jobs parameters. So, all volumes fill up until
"Maximum Volume Bytes" value. I rely on disk MTBF...
I won't have more than "Maximum Volumes"' value volumes.
I'm sure I won't grow over MVB x MV. I sized it to fill 90% of my FS.

You can play with these 2 parameters to generate one file per day, per
week... as you want.

Then I set up File and Job and Volume retention to what I need (in my
case, 30 days everywhere)
When a volume is full, Bacula will look for any appendable one. If there
are no one, it will look for an expired volume and will recycle it.

In your case, to go back to a normal situation, you will have to change
all retention values... into the configuration but also in the database to
be sure your files/jobs/volumes will expire. Then you will just have to
watch Bacula recycle your volumes.

I don't truncate them because I don't need to reclaim the space.

HTH.
Jérôme Blion.