Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula maintenance : Clean Data

2011-06-06 10:42:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula maintenance : Clean Data
From: Buschini Edouard <moon AT ijaal DOT net>
To: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 16:40:01 +0200
Hello Jérôme,

2011/6/6 Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:45:24 +0200, Buschini Edouard <moon AT ijaal DOT net>
wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Thank you for you answer.
>
> 2011/6/6 Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
>
>> Buschini Edouard wrote:
>>
>>  But today we have a big problem, we didn't anticipate a growing like
>>  that,
>>> on our FS we are at 97% of space used. It's very problematic. And
since
>>> 1
>>> week I'm working on free more space but it's very complicated with
>>> Bacula.
>>> I've search every where but I didn't find any exploitable answers so
I'm
>>> asking here.
>>> Do you have a prefered method to do the following task :
>>>

>> 1: Can you add more storage?
>>
>> I can but I would like to do some clean up before. Add space disk
> move temporarily the issue :(
>

>> 2: Why not use tape?
>>
> I don't know when I arrived in the company it has already been designed
> like
> that : Dell server with 15kSAS raid10

Hello,

You should set :
 - Maximum Volume Bytes
 - Maximum Volumes
 - Volume Retention
 - Job Retention
 - File Retention
according to the space you can use. Volumes should be recycled then and
will never fill up your filesystem.

Yep that's I understood, so if I set the File retention to 1 month, my volume automatically is marked as purged and next time it will be prune and truncated right ?

If you still don't have enough space, that means:
 - you need to buy some hardware
 - you need to change one (or more) of these parameters to fit your
filesystem.

Agreed, the main policy was to backup 6 full, so 1 full per month.

If you only prune old jobs without modifying your backup strategy, you
will have the same problem in few weeks... or even few days...

I totally agree with you I planed to review the backup strategy in two weeks, but I needed to clean some old or unused job.
HTH.
Jérôme Blion.