Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] One Client with different Pools (File Retention Problem)

2011-02-02 10:49:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] One Client with different Pools (File Retention Problem)
From: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
To: jma AT schaubroeck DOT be
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:47:08 -0200

2011/2/2 Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>

Hello list!

In my current Bacula configuration, a single Client have different Pools for it's Incremental, Differential and Full Backup. For a specific Client, I have the following configuration:

Job {
    Name = job.ptierp-teste-top
    Client = client.ptierp-teste-top
    JobDefs = jobdef.default
    Full Backup Pool = pool.full.muitobaixo
    Differential Backup Pool = pool.diff.alto
    Incremental Backup Pool = pool.inc.muitobaixo
}

Pool {
    Name = pool.inc
    Pool Type = Backup
    Storage = st.tpa
    Volume Use Duration = 1 day
    Volume Retention = 1 day

    Scratch Pool = scratch.tpa
    RecyclePool = scratch.tpa
    File Retention =  1 day
    Job Retention =  1 day
    Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
}

The pool config you're posting has a different name from the one defined as incremental backup pool for your job (missing .muitobaixo). Is this a typo or does your real config contain the same error?

That's a typo, I've changed the name of the Pool just to send the email, the Bacula configuration is correct...

I run a Incremental Backup from Monday trough Friday and, with this Pool (using the Volume Retention option), I want to keep only 1 day of Incremental Backup history, but I'm keeping the Differental and Full Backup for longer periods.

How will you restore from a second, third, ..., incremental backup without the info from the previous backups? Without the info from the previous incremental backups it'll be quite the annoying experience if you need to restore a file that changed between your full backup and the last incremental backup, involving bscan ...

I thought that, since Incremental Backups will be pruned after 24 hours, that the current Incremental Backup was always going to be incremental from the last Differential or Full Backup, hence, I'd keep only one Incremental Backup for that Client.

That would mean that, if I wanted to make de Full Restore of that Client at Friday (for example), I could use the Incremental (that ran that night) + Differential (that ran last Sunday) + Full (that ran at the first Sunday of the month) to make the latest possible restore, or just the last Differential + Full Backup that would be the "state" of the machine last weekend... I don't know if this logic is correct or possible...

Will Bacula always assume the Volume Retention from the Pool being used period to Prune files? Even if a specifically set the File Retention and Job Retention on the Client? Even if I have different Pool for a single Client?

Volume retention always takes precedence over File or Job retentions. There is no use keeping data for a backup on a volume that "no longer exists" as far as bacula knows. As often mentioned on the list: don't use file and job retention definitions in Pool configs. They are bugged in the current version and don't work correctly.

As far as I know pruning should happen on a per-pool basis, applying the correct retention periods per pool. You might want to make sure the retention periods set for your Full pool are correct though.

If it happens on a per pool basis, then why the Incremental Job, which is on a "pool.inc.muitobaixo" Pool prunes the Jobs (and Files) of a Full Backup Job, that is on a "pool.full.muitobaixo" Pool? Or actually that is NOT happening and something else could be pruning the Clients files?

Thanks!