Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] One Client with different Pools (File Retention Problem)

2011-02-02 09:06:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] One Client with different Pools (File Retention Problem)
From: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:03:13 -0200
Hello list!

In my current Bacula configuration, a single Client have different Pools for it's Incremental, Differential and Full Backup. For a specific Client, I have the following configuration:

Client {
    Name = client.ptierp-teste-top
    Address = ptierp-teste-top.pti
    Catalog = cat.default
    Password = "XXX"
    File Retention = 6 months
    Job Retention = 6 months

}

Job {
    Name = job.ptierp-teste-top
    Client = client.ptierp-teste-top
    JobDefs = jobdef.default
    Full Backup Pool = pool.full.muitobaixo
    Differential Backup Pool = pool.diff.alto
    Incremental Backup Pool = pool.inc.muitobaixo
}

Pool {
    Name = pool.inc
    Pool Type = Backup
    Storage = st.tpa
    Volume Use Duration = 1 day
    Volume Retention = 1 day

    Scratch Pool = scratch.tpa
    RecyclePool = scratch.tpa
    File Retention =  1 day
    Job Retention =  1 day
    Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
}

I run a Incremental Backup from Monday trough Friday and, with this Pool (using the Volume Retention option), I want to keep only 1 day of Incremental Backup history, but I'm keeping the Differental and Full Backup for longer periods.

The problem is, at the end of the Incremental Backup, I see this message in the log:

28-Jan 03:34 dir.ptibacula-dir JobId 130: Begin pruning Jobs older than 1 day .
28-Jan 03:34 dir.ptibacula-dir JobId 130: No Jobs found to prune.
28-Jan 03:34 dir.ptibacula-dir JobId 130: Begin pruning Jobs.
28-Jan 03:34 dir.ptibacula-dir JobId 130: Pruned Files from 2 Jobs for client client.ptierp-teste-top from catalog.
28-Jan 03:34 dir.ptibacula-dir JobId 130: End auto prune.

Before 28-Jan, I had only ran 1 Incremental Backup, because I started the backups for this Client at 26-Jan (which was a Full Backup). Hence, I believe that the Incremental Backup Pruned the Files From the Incremental Backup at 27-Jan and the Full Backup at 26-Jan.

That can be proven because I try to run "list files jobid=xxx" using the jobid of the last Full Backup for this Client, and I got nothing listed.

Will Bacula always assume the Volume Retention from the Pool being used period to Prune files? Even if a specifically set the File Retention and Job Retention on the Client? Even if I have different Pool for a single Client?

Thanks!