Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Extremly slow backup

2011-01-03 03:50:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] Extremly slow backup
From: Marcin Krol <hawk AT pld-linux DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 09:28:22 +0100
Hello.

I've problem with bacula performance on one of my machines. The machine
in question is my mail server that holds about 220 GB of data in 660
thousands of files. Full backup takes about 2 days and 11 hours with
average speed of 1 MB/sec. All other clients have speeds between 20
(Windows) to 80 (Linux) MB/sec.

Its not hardware fault. Both bacula client and bacula server (where
director and sd runs) have practically no load during backup.

Its not tape library fault. I tried switching to local backup on disk
and it took few hours less but still over 2 days.

Its not network faults as I can easily get about 50 MB/sec doing backup
over network with rsync.

My bacula setup uses PostgreSQL backend and database size is under 6 GB.

I guess this slowness is caused by doing backup of lots of small files.

So... What I can try to get this backup done faster? I'm out of options
right now and really would like to keep this backup managed by bacula
rather than setting some rsync backup.

M.