Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out

2010-12-04 18:16:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out
From: rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:12:39 +0100
Hi Dan,

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Dan Langille wrote:

> [...]
> There is a frequently encountered problem where a firewall etc drops
> a connection even though it is still active.  This is what heart
> beat is designed to help with.  That a firewall allows the
> connection to start is not relevant to that situation.

No, I double checked. There's no packet filter active and I have the heart
beat option in all relevant configs (dir,sd,fd).
Furthermore, the FAQ entry you're referring to deals with ERR=Connection
reset by peer, not ERR=Connection timed out.

> [...]
> >that pointed out that Bacula once had problems with certain device
> >files. Here's the link:
> >
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> >net/msg07821.html
> >
> >Unfortunately, in my output the currently processed file is not mentioned.
> >Any way I can fix this in order to gain more insight?
>
> The output is from status client.  You see no file name mentioned there?

Unfortunately not. "status client" output is for spooling (copying from
client on which bacula-fd runs to a spool directory), not for despooling
(writing from the spool directory to tape via bacula-sd). I also checked the
output in the mail referenced by the above link and the output quite clearly
comes from bacula-sd (maybe it was invoked with some debug option(s) )?

Apart from that I'm wondering what's really going on because bacula-sd and
bacula-dir are both running on the same machine which also hosts the spool
directory) to which the autoloader is connected so I admittedly don't
really understand why networking functionality is needed when
bacula-sd writes data from the spool directory to tape?

Thanks & kind regards,

    Holger