Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out

2010-12-02 22:27:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:24:19 -0500
On 12/2/2010 10:01 PM, rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> first of all, thanks a lot for your reply! Please see my answer below.
>
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2010 8:52 PM, rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running Bacula 5.0.2 on a Debian Lenny AMD64 system and I'm trying to
>>> back up data to a HP 1/8 G2 autoloader equipped with a HP Ultrium 920 drive.
>>> I get the above message when backing up a particular host; the other ones
>>> work without any problem. Interestingly enough, before I get this message,
>>> spooling all files from the host to be backed up (on which bacula-sd runs)
>>> to the host on which bacula-sd runs works without problems. Also, the
>>> *initial* spooling of data works, as shown by this message from "status
>>> * storage" run from within bconsole a few mintues before the error occurred:
>>>
>>> Running Jobs:
>>> Writing: Full Backup job QNAP_backup JobId=1194 Volume="ADE887L3"
>>>      pool="WeeklyBackups" device="HPUltrium920LTO3" (/dev/nst0)
>>>      spooling=0 despooling=1 despool_wait=0
>>>      Files=147,033 Bytes=107,330,630,244 Bytes/sec=77,945,265
>>>      FDReadSeqNo=2,758,023 in_msg=2380019 out_msg=14 fd=6
>>>
>>> and also
>>>
>>> Autochanger "HPStorageWorks18G2Autoldr" with devices:
>>>     "HPUltrium920LTO3" (/dev/nst0)
>>> Device "HPUltrium920LTO3" (/dev/nst0) is mounted with:
>>>      Volume:      ADE887L3
>>>      Pool:        WeeklyBackups
>>>      Media type:  LTO-3
>>>      Slot 4 is loaded in drive 0.
>>>      Total Bytes=1,854,145,536 Blocks=7,073 Bytes/block=262,144
>>>      Positioned at File=0 Block=7,074
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> Used Volume status:
>>> ADE887L3 on device "HPUltrium920LTO3" (/dev/nst0)
>>>      Reader=0 writers=1 devres=0 volinuse=1
>>>
>>> Two minutes later the error message mentioned above appeared. What might be
>>> the cause for such an error (Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed
>>> out)?
>>
>> It might be a TCP connection dropped by a firewall.  Try adding a
>> heart beat to the configuration.  It can be added to both FD and SD
>> I think, not sure.  Check the docs via google.  See also the FAQ
>> and/or the wiki.  I'm sure this is talked about there.
>
> No, there's no packet filter installed/active. Besides, bacula-sd starts
> writing to the tape (as it should). An active packet filter wouldn't allow
> access to bacula-sd's port from the very beginning.

There is a frequently encountered problem where a firewall etc drops a
connection even though it is still active.  This is what heart beat is
designed to help with.  That a firewall allows the connection to start
is not relevant to that situation.

> At least bacula-sd has the heart beat option in there. You're right that
> this is mentioned in the FAQ, but it doesn't help in my particular case.
> (Ok, I could try adding the heart beat option also to bacula-fd but this has
> not been necessary in the past. The problem only occurs on one host, all
> other hosts in the same subnet work flawlessly.
>
> Apart from that, the only mail I found via Google in the archives was one
> that pointed out that Bacula once had problems with certain device
> files. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg07821.html
>
> Unfortunately, in my output the currently processed file is not mentioned.
> Any way I can fix this in order to gain more insight?

The output is from status client.  You see no file name mentioned there?

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/