Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out

2010-12-03 11:10:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:01:35 -0500
On 12/2/2010 10:01 PM, rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com wrote:

> At least bacula-sd has the heart beat option in there. You're right that
> this is mentioned in the FAQ, but it doesn't help in my particular case.
> (Ok, I could try adding the heart beat option also to bacula-fd but this has
> not been necessary in the past. The problem only occurs on one host, all
> other hosts in the same subnet work flawlessly.

Try turning off compression for that host. Also, make sure the NIC power
management features are disabled. Some NICs / drivers essentially power
down the NIC when idle, such as when the host is taking too long with
file compression, even though there is an open socket. That level of
power saving will break Bacula, because it expects the socket to remain
open throughout the backup. I have dealt with a few laptops that this
happened to, so it is probably only true for slow (or busy) hosts.