Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out

2010-12-04 18:23:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection timed out
From: rauch.holger AT googlemail DOT com
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:20:43 +0100
Hi Josh,

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010, Josh Fisher wrote:

> [..]
> Try turning off compression for that host.

Is it enabled by default (i.e. when that option is not specified in the
config)?

> Also, make sure the NIC power
> management features are disabled. Some NICs / drivers essentially power
> down the NIC when idle, such as when the host is taking too long with
> file compression, even though there is an open socket. That level of
> power saving will break Bacula, because it expects the socket to remain
> open throughout the backup. I have dealt with a few laptops that this
> happened to, so it is probably only true for slow (or busy) hosts.

Thanks for pointing this out. Here's my "ethtool eth0" output which is
identical on both the client and the server (which in my particular case is
the machine on which bacula-sd and bacula-dir run):

===

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
        Link detected: yes

===

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the "g" in the "Wake-on" column. Any
concreate hints on how to disable these features and where (via ethtool or
in the machine's BIOS settings)?

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

    Holger