Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die

2010-11-07 05:56:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die
From: Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip AT kanarip DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 11:58:31 +0100

On Friday, November 05, 2010 02:52:32 pm Kern Sibbald wrote:

> If Bacula Systems fails, the project will most likely die, stagnate, or the

> code reliablity will become so bad in a few years that no one will want to

> use it.

> (...), because I want to see Bacula

> continue -- the only way to do so is to ensure that Bacula Systems

> continues.

> Both Bacula Systems and I could make the code proprietary as

> do virtually all other projects that include support. We have chosen to

> continue writing Open Source, which has a lot of risks.

I have first-hand experience with Bacula Systems on more then one occassion, and I've had many lengthy and in-depth conversations with Jack and Kern and Eric and Arno and others, on topics of the Bacula project and eco-system sustainability, what it takes to grow the project through the business and, if possible, do the same vice-versa, how to attack certain challenges and how to do that morally and ethically right, and all I can say from where I am sitting;

Amen Kern. Spot on. You got it right. You go about it entirely correct, morally and ethically, and you are one of very few that do. I can only wish to have the same kind of passion and dedication left in me still, when I grow up to become of your age. I hope that is reassuring you Kern, and reassuring to others as well -even though probably many of you don't know who I am or what I do and while it doesn't matter, your favorite search engine knows all about me.

Kind regards,

Jeroen "Professional Sucker for Free Software" van Meeuwen