Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die

2010-11-05 09:56:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: Heitor Medrado de Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:53:52 +0100
'Heitor Medrado de Faria' wrote:
>Guys,
>
>Each new Bacula Enterprise feature, like the: New GUI Configurator,
>makes me feel that Bacula project will die.
>It's very frustrating that a project that become a huge success being a
>free software, is being destroyed like that.
>I acknowledge that Kern and other developers had lots of development
>work on Bacula - and there is not huge contribution. But creating a paid
>fork is not the way of get compensation.

Will you please stop whining - you sound like my youngest son when his
favorite toy gets taken away. You refer to 'free' as in 'free beer' -
not as in 'free speech' which in my opinion makes you nothing more than
a leecher.

If you really need the features that currently are "restricted" to the
BSEE edition why not actually do something smart and PAY for them to
support the project ?  We are gladly paying for BSEE - the price they
offer is ridiculously low compared to other vendors. We saved ~150.000
EUR in upfront license investments alone and are still saving money
every year on the support subscription.

Besides access to the few "restricted" features you get worldclass
support from the people that know Bacula in and out - that alone is
worth the money.

Bacula is definitivly NOT going to die - I dare to say that the opposite
is happening.

What Kern and the rest of Bacula Systems have done is a very reasonable
and logic approach to the problem that surrounds many open source
projects.

They offer A LOT of value for nothing in the community edition - you
should be grateful for that.

>Regards,
>
>--
>Heitor Medrado de Faria