Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "why people do what they do"

2010-11-09 07:10:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "why people do what they do"
From: Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip AT kanarip DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:07:47 +0000

On Monday, November 08, 2010 04:39:04 pm Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Plenty of people write software and open source

> it and don't ever attempt to monetize it; I'm not personally sure why

> those people do it, but yes it is very nice.

Polling amongst the 475.000 users of SourceForge that had indicated they dedicated 10 or more hours a week on average to one or more projects hosted in SourceForge, resulted in the top three reasons to engage and continue to do what they do are (paraphrasing, and you know statistics, but this gives a nice indication):

1) Because it's fun,

2) Because I learn something,

3) Because it's for the greater good of society

A very nice paper on the subject (really, it is a good read);

http://people.redhat.com/tiemann/STS-Forum-Tiemann-2006.pdf

Which is also where I got the aforementioned from / through.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

-kanarip