Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network Address Translation : "Failed to connect to storage daemon"

2010-08-21 11:58:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network Address Translation : "Failed to connect to storage daemon"
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Smaïne KAHLOUCH <smaine.kahlouch AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:55:40 -0400
On 8/20/2010 4:30 AM, Smaïne KAHLOUCH wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to configure a client in a remote network.
> In order to work, i had to configure an address translation.
> I also indicated the external ip address in the bacula-fd.conf. (this
> address is then translated to the real bacula server address)
>
> The authentication seems to work but the client can't connect to the
> storage daemon. It still tries to connect to the FQDN.
>
> *Warning: bnet.c:864 Could not connect to Storage daemon on "fqdn"
> ERR=Connection timed out*
>
> The problem is that i can't modify the /etc/hosts because it will be
> overwritten by an cron script.
>
> Is there an option to indicate the NAT address for that client ? Is
> there another way to do so ?

I suspect you have this situation.

bacula-sd sits in your local network, behind a firewall.

bacula-fd sits in a remote network.

If so, I think you need two bacula-sd declarations:

* one for your local network
* one for your remote client (this one uses the public IP address of
your firewall).

Storage {
   Name       = DLTRemote
   Address    = your.firewall
   Device     = DLT
}

Storage {
   Name       = DLTLocal
   Address    = your.local.address
   Device     = DLT
}

Your firewall takes incoming requests on address your.firewall and
redirects them to your.local.address

In short, both Storage resources point to the same bacula-sd.

Use DLTRemote for your remote client.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/