Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with offline clients

2010-08-21 11:48:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with offline clients
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:44:20 -0400
On 8/20/2010 2:50 AM, Alex2398 wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I have get the following issue while trying to make a weekly backup of each
> client (Windows Client) and using one pool and one volume for each other. The
> idea is having just one weekly file per backup and per client, trying to save
> disk space.

If you are doing a full backup every week, you'll probably want to keep
the old backups for 8 days.  That way, if the new backup fails, you
still have the old backup for 1 day... just in case.

Personally, I'd be keeping backups longer than that. I think that
relying upon just one full backup is not the best practice.

> The trouble occurs when some client is offline at the backup time. Then the
> jobs prunes the volume and recycles it, waiting for the new data to come, but
> as it's offline, after 2 minutes, the job drops an error (obviously). As
> result, the volume gets empty, deleting the previous data, so, you lose the
> backup until a new one is done when the client is online.

I think you'll find that pruning is done at the end of the job, not the
start.  If this is not the case, please post a job email showing this.

> Is there a way to check connection before launching the job? I guess
> recycling and purging volume should be done AFTER the job is complete, not
> before.

Yes.  Include a Run Before script in your job. In that script, verify
the connection.  Then terminate with the right error code to allow /
deny the reset of the job.

How to verify depends on your OS etc.  I'd say a simple ping test would
be enough.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/