Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client in LAN, Server in the Internet

2010-08-15 09:41:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client in LAN, Server in the Internet
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Markus Lanz <hatori.hanzo AT gmx DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:38:23 -0400
On 8/14/2010 5:20 PM, Markus Lanz wrote:

> I don't know. Can openvpn really help in my case?? Remember, i cannot open or
> even forward a port on the router where the clients are hidden behind?
> Wouldn't i have to set up a site to site VPN from one router to the other
> either, if i could access the router?

I see something ambiguous here.  A lot depends on how this router is
configuration

The client is behind a router.  You say you cannot change the router
settings.  Let's work with that, keeping in mind that within the Bacula
protocol:

* the Director *must* be able to initiate communication with the File Daemon
* the File Daemon must be be able to initiate communication with the
Storage Daemon

Thus:

* if your client cannot initiate outgoing comms to the SD, you're in a
whole heap of trouble.

 From what you've said about your router, I content

* This does not mean the client cannot initiate outside connections.
The client may still be able to initiate outgoing connections (to the SD
for example)

* The router may have a list of outgoing ports to which the client can
connect.  There is no reason why the SD cannot listen on one of those
ports or have that port on YOUR firewall redirected to the actual port.

Do a simple test: from the client, assuming your SD is at 10.0.0.1 and
listening on port 9103:

   telnet 10.0.0.1 9103

You should see this:

$ telnet 10.55.0.67 9103
Trying 10.55.0.67...
Connected to ngaio.unixathome.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
type something
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

Once we know this, we can start forming a plan.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/