Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client in LAN, Server in the Internet

2010-08-14 13:58:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client in LAN, Server in the Internet
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:56:10 -0400
On 08/14/10 13:16, Markus Lanz wrote:
>> On 08/11/10 18:00, Markus Lanz wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is it possible to have the server in the internet and the client in the
>> LAN? The client would be behind the firewall and not directly reachable by
>> the server. Only the client can reach the server directly?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because there are some backup programms where the server is
>> initiating the backup. But in my case the server has to be offsite and
>> therefore the client need to start the backup job by it self.
>>
>> If you can set up an SSH tunnel between the client and server, no
>> problem.  If you can forward the necessary ports through the firewall,
>> no problem.  If neither of the above applies, sorry, you're totally out
>> of luck, the Director cannot initiate a backup on a client it cannot
>> communicate with.
>
> Yes i can set up an SSH tunnel, but i have several clients not just one. Does
> it also work with lets say three clients?

Honestly, I have never tried tunnelling the same port to multiple
different hosts.  There's no question that it can be *done* with SSH;
you simply need different local ports for each remote host.  Getting
Bacula to *work* over those multiple SSH tunnels is another problem
altogether.

This increasingly looks to me as though your only options for making
this work are either port forwarding to the clients through their
respective firewalls, which will work for only one client behind each
given firewall, or setting up a full-fledged VPN.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.