Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd slow? [was: Half-speed backup problem]

2010-07-22 07:10:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd slow? [was: Half-speed backup problem]
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:07:55 +0100
On 21/07/10, Rory Campbell-Lange (rory AT campbell-lange DOT net) wrote:
> On 21/07/10, Craig Miskell (craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz) wrote:
> > Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> Spool Size = 250GB                 # maximum spool size for this job
> Maximum Spool Size = 250GB         # only one job at a time
> Maximum Job Spool Size = 250000000 # 250GB in bytes
> Spool Directory = /tapespool       # XFS filesystem preferred?

I am now using a spool to see what is happening for the locally attached
Coraid storage. The locally attached storage runs at a (contended) write
of 77MB/s and read of over 100MB/s as confirmed by the tool ddt.

So I now have a Full backup running off local attached storage (Coraid,
ext3) to fully local storage (HW RAID with BBU, xfs). However bconsole's
"status client" still shows activity at around 20-30MB/s
(Bytes/sec=24,363,733) with bacula-fd reading off the target at around
20-30MB/s to make a local 250GB file. Incidentally,  bacula-sd
periodically writes to tape at ~ 100MB/s.

Google searches suggest that there might be a problem with the speed at
which local spool files are made.

2006:
http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg09171.html