Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Cleaning up a storage daemon

2010-07-22 06:44:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Cleaning up a storage daemon
From: Mister IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
To: Bacula-Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:42:19 +0100
My understanding and usage of Bacula has been somewhat.... distorted,
and I can assume that I didn't pick it up properly. As time has passed,
I've figured some new ways of doing things, and I've decided to have a
crack at cleaning up my storage daemon. This is not something that I've
attempted before, and I've given it some thought, and I thing my plan is
okay, but community imput would be very much appreciated.

I have around 3TB of data, around 20% of which is failed jobs, and the
rest, is about 6 months of repeated data! (I didn't know about base jobs
at that time!)

Now, my plan is this -

Install a new storage daemon with two pools, (FullPool and diff
DiffPool,Full, will be used for all full backups, and diffpool for all
the rest),
Migrate all full jobs that completed successfully to FullPool -
(apparently I can do this will a SQL statement - I'll attempt to figure
that one out),
Migrate all jobs that are not full, that completed successfully to
DiffPool - (I assume a similar SQL statement can help with that also).

At this point, I assume that all my good jobs will now be on my new
storage daemon. I'd like to recover all the disk space being used by my
current pools, (I'm not sure how to do that at this point, tips are
appreciated! I was told to just delete all the files, but I'm pretty
sure that job info will still stay in the catalog), but that is  a
different days work!

I do plan to take some base jobs - This should help with de-duplication
in the future.

The end result should be a clean SD, I hope that I've got this correct,
and hints and tips are appreciated.