Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Half-speed backup problem

2010-07-20 17:59:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Half-speed backup problem
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:56:11 +0100
On 19/07/10, Rory Campbell-Lange (rory AT campbell-lange DOT net) wrote:
> I ran a full backup of a volume last week on Bacula v2.4.4 and I have
> now upgraded to 5.0.2. I'm getting half the throughput last week as I am
> now.
>
> Last week's test volume was a 2.1TB xfs volume and it read/wrote on
> average at 70MB/s. I am now backing up a 4.4TB ext3 volume and
> bconsole's status client shows backup running at less than 30MB/s.
> Hardware compression has been enabled in both cases.
>
> Both volumes are RAID5 Coraid (ATA over Ethernet) devices. I'd be
> grateful for any pointers for getting to the bottom of this.

With reference to
http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg36340.html
I wonder if I should configure the following settings:

  Maximum File Size = 5G
  Maximum Spool Size = 370g
  Maximum Job Spool Size = 20g
  Maximum Block Size = 262144
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144

for faster throughput.  I haven't set any of these parameters at the moment.

However I've just run some tests on the 4.4TB ext3 volume in question and I get
the following results when reading and writing 40GB*:

    40960MiB    KiB/s  CPU%
    Write       76487     2
    Read       163435     2
i.e. I can read from the ext3 volume at 163MB/s.

* I used the Coraid ddt tool which specially ensures that disk cache flushes
  are done to ensure good stats.

If anyone has any insights into why I might be able to write at only 30MB/s I'd
be grateful to know.

Rory