Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Half-speed backup problem

2010-07-20 18:13:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Half-speed backup problem
From: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:09:39 +1200
Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> On 19/07/10, Rory Campbell-Lange (rory AT campbell-lange DOT net) wrote:
>> I ran a full backup of a volume last week on Bacula v2.4.4 and I have
>> now upgraded to 5.0.2. I'm getting half the throughput last week as I am
>> now.
>>
>> Last week's test volume was a 2.1TB xfs volume and it read/wrote on
>> average at 70MB/s. I am now backing up a 4.4TB ext3 volume and
>> bconsole's status client shows backup running at less than 30MB/s.
>> Hardware compression has been enabled in both cases.
>>
>> Both volumes are RAID5 Coraid (ATA over Ethernet) devices. I'd be
>> grateful for any pointers for getting to the bottom of this.
>
> With reference to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg36340.html
> I wonder if I should configure the following settings:
>
>   Maximum File Size = 5G
>   Maximum Spool Size = 370g
>   Maximum Job Spool Size = 20g
>   Maximum Block Size = 262144
>   Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
>
> for faster throughput.  I haven't set any of these parameters at the moment.

I can vouch for Maximum File Size = 5G at least; it's a totally safe/backwards
compatible change to make, and doing that
took my backups from 38MB/s to 46Mb/s (~20% improvement).  And I can give some
tentative support to Maximum Block Size =
262144; in some small scale tests yesterday (on a small number of large files
only), I went from 47MB/s to 64Mb/s
(~25%).  I haven't yet done full-scale tests though.

Be aware that it seems probable that if you change Maximum Block Size on a
device, you may (probably?) need to change
that back to the default on the device if you wish to restore from backups done
with the default block size.

The other settings (Spool size and Network Buffer Size) will help in getting
your data onto the backup server and
ensuring there's enough data for your tape to chew on, and are good.  Actual
sizing for the Spool settings will depend
on how big your backups are; I don't have enough experience (or data) to
comment much.

--
Craig Miskell
Senior Systems Administrator