Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can I take a base job from data already in the SD?

2010-07-20 22:32:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can I take a base job from data already in the SD?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:27:47 -0400
On 07/20/10 10:15, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> I've been reading up on some of the new features, and one of them is a
> base job. Do I need to do an actual full backup to create a base, or can
> I make one from existing backed up data?

You cannot, to my knowledge, create a base job from an existing Full
backup.  The point of a Base job is that it should contain only
mostly-unchanging files, preferably unchanging files that are common to
a large group of machines.  For example, if you have a hundred Windows
XP clients, and you start out with a Base job consisting of the complete
install image for that machine before any users or user files are
created on it, then all of those files need to be backed up only once
for all 100 clients - and if the base install for those machines
changes, say when Windows updates are applied or applications installed,
then only the changed files need to be re-backed up, and only once.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.