Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup

2010-04-03 13:03:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup
From: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:00:48 +0300
On 3.4.2010 19:14, John Drescher wrote:
> 2010/4/3 Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>:
>> On 3.4.2010 0:56, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>

>>> The officially recommended method, for those who have no better means of
>>> backup than DVD and a small enough data set to make it feasible, is to
>>> write DVD-sized disk volumes and then burn them to DVD as a separate
>>> operation.
>>>

>> This I have always wondered, and/but not tested it myself.
>>
>> Bacula suggests writing "parts" of 800M, because large files can not be
>> written to a DVD. DVD movies also are made of many smaller files.
>>
>> How could you burn a DVD-sized disk volume, if that is the case?
>>

> The suggested procedure is to create a little smaller than dvd sized
> disk volumes and use your favorite dvd burning software to burn the
> disk volume to dvd. Then you can erase your disk volume from disk. If
> you ever need to recover files you need to first read the disk volumes
> from dvd back to your disk storage partition.

Yes... But I'll stick with the ancient 2.0.2, as it works quite
painlessly, and is easy to manage. No manual twiddling, only changing
disc when asked. I have 100 DVD+RW discs, and they can handle about one
year, I have now second year going with these. Works find, if hardware
works. Two DVD-writers died, but they are cheap to replace.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Make a wish, it might come true.