Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup

2010-04-03 12:16:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:14:12 -0400
2010/4/3 Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>:
> On 3.4.2010 0:56, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>> The officially recommended method, for those who have no better means of
>> backup than DVD and a small enough data set to make it feasible, is to
>> write DVD-sized disk volumes and then burn them to DVD as a separate
>> operation.
>>

> This I have always wondered, and/but not tested it myself.
>
> Bacula suggests writing "parts" of 800M, because large files can not be
> written to a DVD. DVD movies also are made of many smaller files.
>
> How could you burn a DVD-sized disk volume, if that is the case?

The suggested procedure is to create a little smaller than dvd sized
disk volumes and use your favorite dvd burning software to burn the
disk volume to dvd. Then you can erase your disk volume from disk. If
you ever need to recover files you need to first read the disk volumes
from dvd back to your disk storage partition.

John