Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup

2010-04-01 11:36:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 AT frii DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:34:09 -0600
On 03/31/2010 07:27 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>[...]
> DVD support is another issue.  Direct DVD writer support was deprecated
> in Bacula some time ago and is explicitly unmaintained and unsupported,
> because it turns out to be so problematic.
>[...]

"Explicitly?"  Where would that be exactly?

I see in http://bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Current_State_Bacula.html

+ Advanced Support for most Storage Devices
    [...]
    * Supports writing to DVD.

If you search the main doc for "DVD" you will find it mentioned in
many places with nary a word about "unmaintained and unsupported",
There is even a subsection of the SD config section that describes
how to configure a DVD storage device.
(http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001950000000000000000)
When I was first searching for a backup app with support for DVDs,
I found hundreds of secondary sources recommending Bacula, none of
which mentioned that DVD media were "unmaintained and unsupported";
on the contrary they all said explicitly DVD media *were* supported.

I'm not complaining -- I already had a preexisting app for media
tracking so doing Bacula backups to file, then scripting their
migration to DVD outside of Bacula and using my media database
to link the DVD ids to the Bacula jobids is working fine.  But I
do take exception to the claim that DVD non-support is explicit
and documented.