Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup

2010-04-02 12:10:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup
From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns222 AT hardakers DOT net>
To: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:07:06 -0700

MN> Of course, there are disadvantages too, especially if HDD is
MN> connected all the time.

Yep.  But if you're gonna go the paranoid route you also need to
consider fire and should be mailing your tapes/dvds/hard-drives to an
offsite backup location as well.

It's all about the trade-offs I agree.  The good news is that in 20
years of unix work I've yet to type rm -rf /.

MN> You may alleviate some of the issues by buying stack od external HDDs
MN> and rotating them on/off-site, but that will again lose you the
MN> convenience (and gets more pricey).

I actually think there is a way to do a write-once mode to a HDD if you
like too, but I can't remember where I saw that operation before.  If
nothing else, use dd and the right starting block number and treat it
the same way you would a tape or DVD (IE, no real file system).

MN> The main problem with DVDs however remains -- they are just too small
MN> and too slow nowdays for anything but small sites...

Don't forget fragile and subject to aging.  But they do fit in a
fire-safe nicely!
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/