Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers

2010-02-28 14:55:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers
From: mehma sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:51:45 -0800
A hunerd-n-twenty jobs makes me wince. Why not simplify...a couple of ideas and feel free to knock them down:
a.  I HATE NFS - so I'm not mentioning it as a solution
b.  rsync all /etc's into a central location and back that up. This would provide a much faster backup scenario because the rsync's can be in parallel. It is also simpler. Restoring will be a two-step process and I can see where that could be a problem time wise if you restore big chunks.
c.  Use multiple Baculas - like say 6 - each running 20 jobs. Faster and maybe not simpler.
d.  I'm not going to mention Bittorrent cuz I've not tried it.

I like 'b'

Mehma
===

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com> wrote:
> [...]

Ah, that makes sense. I am using a similar minimal backup for some of my remote Web servers (I am also backing up web sites, home directories etc.). One additional thing I am backing up: I run "rpm -qa" into a file (as a Client Run Before Job) and back up that file. That way, I know which packages I need during disaster recovery.