Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers

2010-02-27 13:22:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:18:57 -0800
You may want to look into using a script instead of a text configuration file.

Bacula-dir.conf supports include files with the syntax

@<filename>

If you instead use

@|<filename>

then bacula-dir will treat <filename> as a shell script, execute it and use the
output from stdout in its configuration.

As for your second question, I would suggest a few changes:

- Do not allow recycling of file volumes. Instead, prune them and then delete
the pruned files (you have to use an external shell script to do that).
Otherwise, file volumes will never get smaller. Let's say that you have a file
volume that holds a full backup with 100 GB. If bacula recycles that volume and
puts an incremental backup with 2GB on it, the file will still be 100GB in size.

Of course I'm assuming that you only put one job into each file volume. If you
allow bacula to put multiple jobs into the same file volume, you run into a
similar issue: you can't recycle the volume until all the jobs on it have
expired.

- Do not expect to recycle (or delete) volumes the next day. One of bacula's
strongest points is its volume management - take advantage of it and let it
tell you when to recycle or delete a volume.

There are a number of disk-disk-tape strategies for bacula. I don't have
experience with them, but I'm sure Google will give you a lot of information.