Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers

2010-02-28 15:12:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: mehma sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:10:01 -0500
> A hunerd-n-twenty jobs makes me wince. Why not simplify...a couple of ideas

I have around 90 jobs at work. They all run fine.

> and feel free to knock them down:
> a.  I HATE NFS - so I'm not mentioning it as a solution
> b.  rsync all /etc's into a central location and back that up. This would
> provide a much faster backup scenario because the rsync's can be in
> parallel.

So can bacula.

> It is also simpler. Restoring will be a two-step process and I can
> see where that could be a problem time wise if you restore big chunks.

This sounds more complicated instead of simpler.

> c.  Use multiple Baculas - like say 6 - each running 20 jobs. Faster and
> maybe not simpler.

Not really faster unless you are talking about 6 servers each with
their own autoloader.

> d.  I'm not going to mention Bittorrent cuz I've not tried it.

bittorrent is not a backup solution. It would be horrible at that. Its
a solution to distribute multiple copies of the same large file to
many users around the world. I highly doubt someone would want to send
their backups all over the world. Also I doubt that users would want
to download and store my backups for me on their systems all over the
world.

John