Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers

2010-02-27 11:45:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up > 100 servers
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:39:53 +0100
Hello,

27.02.2010 14:46, Stan Meier wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> our company is planning to move to Bacula. Preliminary tests are
> looking fine, but we really don't know how to deal with a few things.
>
> As for hardware, we got a 24TB raid and access to a working tape
> library with several drives.

Good start :-)

> 1. Keeping configuration sane: With more than 120 servers, we need to
> find a way to keep the configuration files readable. Our servers all
> follow some naming scheme, for example, we got "appserver01" through
> "appserver08" or "webcache01" through "webcache04". We think we should
> split client configurations for each server group, so the file
> "clientdefs/appserver.conf" would define all appserver0X clients.
> Furthermore, most of those servers will need a default job performed
> (/etc, /root, /opt and so on). While it's easy to reuse a "JobDefs"
> stanza to actually define all those jobs, isn't there any way to
> "group" those servers? Do we really have to define more than 120 jobs,
> one for each server?

The way to go, in my opinion, is to create the actual configuration
dynamically - you can include script output into the configuration
*anywhere*... now use a script that creates the actual configuration
dynamically, starting with a template where you insert the client name.

Not very difficult, but you'll want to spend some time testing :-)

> 2. Backup availability: One plan would be to use a large part of the
> 24TB available as a FilePool (or several). Each job would then write
> it's data to that pool. A Copy job could copy the data to tape later
> on - with the advantage that restores of recent data would be quite
> fast since they would still be sitting on disk. Before running the
> backup the next day, we would simply recycle those file volumes. Is
> that a reasonable strategy?

Yes. Properly set up, that's a very reasonable approach. You'll need
to understand retention times and how to select jobs for migration in
detail.

Cheers,

Arno

--