Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] trying (and failing) to get a Quantum Superloader 3 to work with Bacula

2010-02-13 14:14:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] trying (and failing) to get a Quantum Superloader 3 to work with Bacula
From: shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: Daniel Kamm <ylz AT ylz DOT ch>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:11:42 +0000
I managed to scrounge two LTO-3 tapes with labels and put them into
the Superloader.

After trying and failing to get them labeled using BAT, I tried using
bconsole, which also didn't work :-(

[root@sp-mirror-02 ~]# bconsole
Connecting to Director sp-mirror-02:9101
1000 OK: sp-mirror-02.loewygroup.local Version: 5.0.0 (26 January 2010)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
*label barcodes
Automatically selected Catalog: MyCatalog
Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: Superloader
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
Connecting to Storage daemon Superloader at sp-mirror-02:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "Certance" has 16 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon Superloader at sp-mirror-02:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
The following Volumes will be labeled:
Slot  Volume
==============
   5  MGQ999L3
   6  MGQ998L3
Do you want to label these Volumes? (yes|no): yes
Defined Pools:
     2: File
     3: Scratch
     4: Tape-Pool-A
Select the Pool (1-4): 4
Connecting to Storage daemon Superloader at sp-mirror-02:9103 ...
Sending label command for Volume "MGQ999L3" Slot 5 ...
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 5, drive 0" command.
3992 Bad autochanger "load slot 5, drive 0": ERR=Child died from
signal 15: Termination.
Results=Program killed by Bacula (timeout)

Label command failed for Volume MGQ999L3.
Sending label command for Volume "MGQ998L3" Slot 6 ...
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is Slot 5.
3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot 5, drive 0" command.
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 6, drive 0" command.
3992 Bad autochanger "load slot 6, drive 0": ERR=Child died from
signal 15: Termination.
Results=Program killed by Bacula (timeout)

Label command failed for Volume MGQ998L3.

I then tried to use the web interface on the Superloader to put a tape
in the drive, and write a label using btape, this worked...

[root@sp-mirror-02 bacula]# btape -v Certance
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "Certance" for writing.
13-Feb 18:31 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
13-Feb 18:31 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
is Slot 6.
btape: btape.c:476 open device "Certance" (/dev/st0): OK
*label
Enter Volume Name: pool-a-tape-1
Wrote Volume label for volume "pool-a-tape-1".
*readlabel
btape: btape.c:528 Volume label read correctly.

Volume Label:
Id                : Bacula 1.0 immortal
VerNo             : 11
VolName           : pool-a-tape-1
PrevVolName       :
VolFile           : 0
LabelType         : PRE_LABEL
LabelSize         : 183
PoolName          : Default
MediaType         : LTO-3
PoolType          : Backup
HostName          : sp-mirror-02.loewygroup.local
Date label written: 13-Feb-2010 18:31

then I tried the btape autochanger command

*autochanger

Ah, I see you have an autochanger configured.
To test the autochanger you must have a blank tape
 that I can write on in Slot 1.

Do you wish to continue with the Autochanger test? (y/n): y

=== Autochanger test ===

3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
Slot 1 loaded. I am going to unload it.
3302 Issuing autochanger "unload 1 0" command.
unload status=OK 0
3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.
3993 Bad autochanger command: /usr/lib/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/sg1
load 1 /dev/st0 0
3993 result="Loading media from Storage Element 1 into drive 0...done
": ERR=Child died from signal 15: Termination
You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.

I watched via the web interface as it unloaded the tape in the drive
to the picker, and moved it to slot 1, and then loaded the tape from
slot 1 into the drive, where the web interface reports the drive as
idle, and then it eventually failed in the btape "console".

I've attached the bacula-sd.conf, I'd really appreciate if somebody
could confirm that the format and syntax looks to be correct for a
SCSI attached LTO-3 Superloader 3

Cheers

Arne