Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client performance

2010-01-25 15:30:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client performance
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:27:44 -0500
On 1/25/2010 2:46 PM, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
"Mike Ruskai" <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:4B5DCF2F.9050705 AT earthlink DOT net...

On 1/25/2010 11:07 AM, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

some more cpu load, but no peak in workstation's cpu load meter exceeded
50%.

In Windows, 100% load means all CPU's together at max load.  If you have
two cores, 50% means 100% load on one core.

Actually, there were two graphs, one per core. Neither of them peaked close
to 50% at GZIP1 level. After increasing comprerssion level (up to GZIP9), it
needed more cpu load, but it wasn't absolutely the limiting factor if the
graphs are somehow close to truth.

You can't go by Task Manager graphs, either.  Unless you set process affinity, the thread will be scheduled on alternating cores, and the graphs won't accurately represent how loaded each core is over time.  If you have a single thread running at full speed, it will very likely look like roughly 50% usage on each core over time.  The calculations just don't happen with a granularity small enough to show the actual usage.  If you look at the CPU usage figure on the bottom left, however, that will be reasonably accurate.  If it reads 50%, then the compression work is going as fast as it can.
But the basic question still is, what limits the data rate without
compression, when cpu load is very low? Using compression still drops the
compressed rate by same factor the data size shrinks, while the required
real time doesn't practically chage at all. Sounds very much like it was a
limit of disk io rate, but it sounds unbelievable to me since figures are
that low.

But maybe I'll need to test disk read performance first by some other means.
It will just take a couple of days until I'll have time for that project
again.

It could be either disc I/O or network I/O that's bottlenecking.  The Bacula file daemon for Windows is definitely not restricted to the rates you're seeing.