Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client performance

2010-01-25 18:38:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client performance
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:35:38 +1100
>   Elapsed time:           2 mins 35 secs
>   FD Files Written:       4,648
>   SD Files Written:       4,648
>   FD Bytes Written:       664,739,011 (664.7 MB)
>   SD Bytes Written:       665,458,318 (665.4 MB)
>   Rate:                   4288.6 KB/s
>   Software Compression:   None
>   VSS:                    yes
>   Encryption:             no
>   Accurate:               no

How long does it take to copy those files to a share on another windows
computer? If you test that, make sure you 'pull' the files from another
computer rather than 'push' them (eg originate the copy on the other
computer). That should test your network and disk IO without involving
Bacula. It would have to be an order of magnitude different at least to
draw any real conclusions though.

> Then, after adding lowest-level (GZIP1) compression:
>
> Elapsed time:           2 mins 43 secs
>   FD Files Written:       4,648
>   SD Files Written:       4,648
>   FD Bytes Written:       308,509,378 (308.5 MB)
>   SD Bytes Written:       309,228,685 (309.2 MB)
>   Rate:                   1892.7 KB/s
>   Software Compression:   53.6 %
>   VSS:                    yes
>   Encryption:             no
>   Accurate:               no

Can you zip up the files to another computer? That might be a bit
tricker to organise in a way that is similar to how bacula works...

> Any ideas what is the bottleneck here? I think 1GB of memory should be
> enough for XP alone. Some glue makes me think about the disk, but this
rate
> is a decade below what to expect from even that old hard disk.

The XP firewall at around sp2 was kind of broken in that the various tcp
offloads didn't work properly and slowed things down to a crawl. Try
disabling the firewall service in services.msc - just turning off the
windows firewall on the network adapter is not sufficient, you have to
stop the service.

James