Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup/Delete/Restore & subsequent backups

2010-01-03 20:06:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup/Delete/Restore & subsequent backups
From: Steve Costaras <stevecs AT chaven DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:32:51 -0600

I've been diving into Bacula the past 2-3 weeks to come up with a backup system here for some small server count but very large data store sizes (30+TiB per server).

In the coarse of my testing I have noticed something and want to know if it's by design (in which case it would be very wasteful of tapes); a misconfiguration on my part (possible as I said I've only been playing with it for the past 2-3 weeks), or a bug.

Ok, what I'm seeing is that I do a full backup of the client machine, that runs well;  I then delete an entire subdirectory say /var/ftp/{DIRA} which has say 10,000 files or about 1TiB or data.   I then do a restore of that directory from tape (last backup was a full).   Now I am seeing that the next incremental I do has the full /var/ftp/{DIRA} being backed up again as if it were all new files, likewise a differential will also back up this directory in full again as well.    In my mind at least since this directory was in the full backup and I have accurate mode on, the backup system should KNOW that the files are already on tape (the full backup that was used to do the restore) and should only back up /NEW/ files added to that directory since that last backup not the entire directory structure after a restore.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks.

Steve

----------- (data for reference)----------
bacula 3.0.3 compiled under ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS server (64bit).   Compile-time flags for reference:
./configure --prefix=/opt/bacula --enable-smartalloc --with-sqlite3 --with-openssl --enable-batch-insert

Backup size for a single test system is ~29TiB/4,600,000 files (sql database size is ~1GiB)

---<bacula-dir snip>---
Job {
  Name = "loki-FullBackup"
  Type = Backup