Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/Vista 64 bit bacula

2010-01-03 20:54:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/Vista 64 bit bacula
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:51:33 -0800
Oh yes, that was me. Ultimately, it's a bug in bacula; it has some inconsistent
default values: by default, the director tries to connect on IPv6 when the
machine has an AAAA record listed. But the FD does not listen on IPv6 (in
Linux, you can turn it on to make it work, in Windows, IPv6 is not yet
implemented in the FD). With the Windows firewall turned on, this leads to a
timeout. With the Windows firewall turned off, bacula finds out about the
failure of the IPv6 connection quickly, and switches to IPv4.

Four workarounds:

- Turn off the Windows firewall. That will at least verify that we are looking
at the same problem.
- create alternate DNS name for the client that has just an A record but no
AAAA record.
- use the IPv4 address instead of a DNS name in the director's Client resource.
- turn off IPv6 everywhere.

My problem also was on 64-bit Windows. I didn't check to see if the firewall on
32 bit had the same problem.