Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Block checksum mismatch error

2009-12-18 09:09:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Block checksum mismatch error
From: "Oliver Lehmann" <lehmann AT ans-netz DOT de>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:38:45 +0100
Dan Langille writes:

> Have you considered that perhaps your backup is corrupted?  That is, the
>   USB2 HDD that you have backed up to contains a disk error?
>
> I would be very careful with that HDD, whatever you do, especially if
> that is your only backup of this data.

I'm starting an offline SMART test now but I doubt that this will reveal
anything. The disk has a UDMA_CRC_Error_Count of 1 but this is not that
much. Right now I can't think that the disk has a problem. If this would
be the case and I would access a file on a corrupt disk FreeBSD would have
spammed my console already with read errors. Same goes for write.

I'll let you know what the SMART analysis revealed.

Is there a way to force bacula to re-read the backups after they where
written or do I have to schedule continuous restores to make sure they stay
readable?